The Red Shirts are retired and off-duty law enforcement personnel, and military veterans bringing decades of experience and training to the job. Approachable and helpful, the Red Shirts serve as a professional neighborhood watch team, ambassadors and public information resources, and extra eyes and ears for Rochester’s professional first responders. The Red Shirts make their rounds by bicycle and on foot covering the area inside the Inner Loop, High Falls, Kodak Office, and Frontier Field.
You can also activate their "Walk You To Your Car" service by calling 732-8808, Monday through Friday from 3:00 – 9:00 p.m or contact them via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Downtown is safe, but remember these tips!
- Park in well-lit areas.
- Be aware of your surroundings as you come and go in and out of downtown parking garages and lots.
- Don’t leave any valuables visible in your car. Put valuables (e.g., cell phones, laptops, GPS, wallets) in your trunk before you park!
- Always lock your vehicle and remember to roll up your windows.
- If you are walking after dark or in an isolated area, walk with someone else or call the Red Shirts for an escort. You can schedule a Red Shirt escort by calling (585) 732-8808 from 3:00-9:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Have your car keys out and ready when you return to your vehicle.
- Do NOT give anything to panhandlers!
- Call 311 or submit an online form (http://www.cityofrochester.gov/311/) for non-emergency services (e.g., broken glass, pothole repairs, graffiti removal).
- Download the FREE Rochester Police App for your smart phone (search for MYPD or My Police Department&tm; in iTunes, the Android market or Amazon App Store)
- If you see something suspicious or are concerned about your safety, call 9-1-1.